Not sure if you have talked about this already, but if you had to pick your top five comic book authors and your favorite run by said Authors, what would they be? Mine tends to change, but right now I would say:
Alan Moore-Swampthing Garth Ennis-Preacher Warren Ellis-Transmetropolitan Grant Morrison-Batman & Robin Geoff Johns-Green Lantern
Post by megamaramon on Sept 7, 2014 18:33:56 GMT -5
So, our upcoming show is about our five favorite comic book characters. This is a HUGE topic! I've spent some time narrowing mine down, coming up with legitimate reasons, and I think I have a final list* to share with all of you on episode 12. In the meantime, I'd love to hear which characters make your cut. Let us know which characters are on your list and why. I'm thinking we can even share some of the lists on air in the next episode!
* Subject to change between now and air time. And, yes, I am including manga characters on mine.
I've got my feet on the ground and I don't go to sleep to dream
Post by iamasianbatgirl on Sept 7, 2014 23:00:09 GMT -5
1) Superboy - pretty obvious from the Talking Comics podcast episode I was on that Kon-El is my numbah one guy 2) Pre-New 52 Tim Drake - To me, he was the best Robin a Batman could have. 3) Cassandra Cain - Pretty obvious from my username/twitter handle/tumblr 4) Sailor Mars - Loved her since I was a kid. 5) Renee Montoya - Greg Rucka's story arc for her in Gotham Central totally sold me on comics again.
1 - Jim Gordon (I've already posted this somewhere else I think and could talk for hours about how much I love him as a character) 2 - Yorick Brown (Y: The Last Man) First non superhero comic I ever read and only comic to ever make me cry and laugh out loud. 3 - Batman because Batman 4 - Superman because Superman 5 - Robin (Tim Drake) the whole Tim Drake/Stephanie Brown arc throughout the years made me love them both so much, felt like an on-again-off-again sitcom relationship. So really the 5 spot is shared by both of them.
So, bearing in mind that I am v. new to reading superhero stuff and haven't actually read a lot of the "big name" titles like Batman etc., and discounting the movies which would make this an entirely different list:
1. Loki - O.K., so this would be the same for the movies, but I absolutely love the comics version as well and the Journey into Mystery/Young Avengers/Agent of Asgard run brought me back to comics and into reading superhero comics in general. He's complicated and devious and hilarious and frustrating and my heart breaks for him regularly, not least because of all his enemies his worst one is himself.
2. Death - Sandman was the first comic series I ever read, in trade form, and of course I was immediately charmed by Death. The book may have been about Dream, but Death was its heart. Plus, without her letting them go I wouldn't have gotten the Dead Boy Detectives ongoing I'm currently loving.
3. Mazikeen - Lucifer was the second comic series I ever read. I love the complexity of Mazikeen, and the fact that while she's initially presented as being kind of Lucifer's underling, you quickly learn that she has agency and interests of her own to pursue. A really fascinating character.
4. Captain Marvel - I was introduced to Carol Danvers with Kelly Sue DeConnick's run and became an immediate fan of the character for her heart, heroism, and strong relationships with women. I haven't liked the past couple of issues in the new arc as much but the character remains one of my favorites.
5. Leah - I mean, I kind of had to with my avatar, didn't I? I know she's sort of an out-of-left-field choice, but to me Journey into Mystery wouldn't have been the book it was without Leah. Her relationship with Loki was so true to life and charming, and their ending, realizing who she would become, was heartbreaking. I still tear up at the BFF moment. And then her reappearance in Young Avengers with the sassy new Jamie McKelvie redesign had me literally gasp and say "Yes!" when I saw her on the page. I love Leah, basically.
This was so hard! I'm sad to have left off: all of the Young Avengers, particularly America Chavez who is badass and I would like to be her when I grow up; Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan, who is precious and courageous and makes my week every month I pick up her book; the Runaways, collectively, especially Gert who was OMG A PLUS SIZE GIRL IN A COMIC; Cloak and Dagger, the team I discovered through Runaways and am now collecting; and all the characters I haven't met yet or haven't read enough of or the right book to add them to my favorites list!
Post by IncredibleD on Sept 10, 2014 11:53:51 GMT -5
Mmm lets see...
1 - Barbara Thorson(I Kill Giants) - Thought very long about this, but as much as i love superheroes i had to go with this character, mostly because i can absolutely relate to her and what she's going trough in this book.
2 - Spider-Man - My favourite super hero.Spidey was one of the first heroes i got introduced to as a kid and i still love everything about him, the costume, the powers, supporting cast, and the villains.
3 - Batman - What can i say...he's the goddamn Batman...
4 - She-Hulk - My favourite female superhero, mostly because she's always so well written in her solo series, and she has everything that a great super hero character needs, humor, intelligence, bravery and bad-assery.To me she's a lot more than just the Hulk's cousin.
5 - Bigby Wolf(Fables) - This spot could have also gone to other Fables characters like Boy Blue or Flycatcher, but since Bigby is more or less the main character of the book and i've always liked his backstory a lot i had to go with the Big Bad Wolf.