Post by megamaramon on Mar 28, 2015 23:04:14 GMT -5
Hey Missfits! Share your thoughts on this month's book! Tune in Sunday, March 29th, at 7:30 ET for the discussion on Hangout.
1) Who is the main character? What is the main story? Why?
2) What do you think were the forces driving the infinite hallways in the Navidson house? (supernatural, God, etc?)
3) What do you think about Johnny's downward spiral and how it related to the overall story?
4) Which other areas of the area do you think Johnny lied in his narration other than the ones he admitted to?
5) Discuss the symbolism and hidden meanings you have found in the book.
6) What did you think of Navidson's final journey into the House and how the story ended?
7) What is the significance of color blue in the novel? What are its possible interpretations? Why are inserts on pages 119‐144 framed in blue?
8) What is the significance of the figure of Minotaur? Why does Johnny restore it despite Zampano’s deletion? What is this act of restoration indicative of?
9) House of Leaves owes a great deal not only to experimental/postmodern literature but also to cinema. Think of the ways in which film and film‐making are present in the novel.
10) How can the closing presence of the Yggdrasil tree be interpreted? In what way(s) is it connected with any narrative level?
11) One of the core narratives in House of Leaves is a Gothic story of a haunted house – how serious is it? Is House of Leaves merely a highly inventive yet ultimately non‐consequential mixture of the Gothic story and the psychological account of Johnny’s descent into madness, or does it attempt to say anything more about human condition?
I've got my feet on the ground and I don't go to sleep to dream